CHICKEN POBLANO CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
This is a great dish for a potluck. It makes a good size and you can make the cornbread crust as thick as you want by using 2 boxes instead of one.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2-3 poblano peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked if you have it)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cubed
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, deboned and chopped
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (or whatever you have on hand)
- 2 – 4oz cans diced green chilis (depending on your spice-level)
- 1 or 2 packages (8.5 oz box) of cornbread/muffin mix
Cook onion and poblanos in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasoning until blended.
Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in the cream cheese until blended. Add the pepper jack, chicken, and green chilies and heat through.
In a medium mixing bowl, add the onion mixture, cream cheese, 1 Tbs milk and cumin. Mix that together and then add the chicken and stir to combine.
Grease a 9×13 baking pan and spread the chicken mixture over the bottom.
Prepare the cornbread according to the package instructions. Spread evenly over the chicken mixture.
Bake uncovered at 350°F for 35-40 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean.
I have made this without the chicken by stirring a third box of prepared cornbread mix into the cream cheese mixture.